Put the saffron stands into a small bowl and add 3 tablespoons boiling water. Leave to infuse for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large sauté pan or non-stick frying pan and gently fry the spring onions and garlic until softened, but not brown.
Add the rice and red pepper to the pan with the saffron and its soaking liquid. Stir in the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Add the petit pois or garden peas, salmon, white fish and crab. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, and then add the prawns and parsley. Stir them through and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes to heat thoroughly. Season to taste, then serve.
Cook’s tip: Look out for Spanish paella rice or select good quality risotto rice.
• Generous pinch of saffron strands
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 225g (8oz) Spanish paella rice or risotto rice
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
• 900ml (1 ½ pt) fish or vegetable stock
• 100g (4oz) frozen petit pois or garden peas, thawed
• 225g (8oz) wild Alaska salmon fillet, skinned and cut into chunks
• 225g (8oz) wild Alaska pollock, halibut or Pacific cod fillet, skinned and cut into chunks
• 100g (4oz) wild Alaska crab, cut into chunks
• 100g (4oz) cooked peeled prawns, thawed if frozen
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper