COOKING TIME: 60 mins
DIETARY: This recipe contains fish and milk.
Put the side of salmon onto a tray with a rim (not metal).
Mix together the olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour over the salmon, brushing it over the surface of the fish. Cover and chill until ready to cook (at least 30 minutes).
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
Slide the side of salmon into a roasting pan and brush with the marinade. Roast for 15-18 minutes, basting once, then cool for 5-10 minutes to allow the fish to rest.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the butter and cook the onion gently until very soft. Add the white wine and let it bubble up for a moment, then stir in the watercress and herbs. Stir in the crème fraiche and season to taste.
Serve the salmon with the sauce, garnished with chives, chive flowers, marjoram or parsley.
Vary the herbs according to your preference – or what grows in your garden!
• 1 side wild Alaska salmon
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 30g butter
• 1 small onion, very finely chopped
• 120ml dry white wine
• 30g watercress, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram, oregano or parsley
• 300g crème fraiche
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Fresh herbs (chives, chive flowers, marjoram or parsley), to garnish